WE NEED YOUR HELP!
The Sailors’ Children’s Society organise regular events during the year to raise funds to support the ongoing commitment we have made to our families that we support. Over the years, we have received many requests from individuals, businesses and even groups of people offering to help us with their fundraising ideas. Fundraising is about you as an individual, employee or employer bringing some fun and a challenge whilst raising funds for the Society.
We would be more than happy to come and talk to groups – no matter how large or small to brainstorm ideas or maybe you already know what you would like to do and just want to know how to get started. Whether it is part of a Charity of the Year nomination or just a one-off fundraiser, there are lots of ways to fundraise. It can motivate and inspire you. It also is a great way of getting people together in the community. If you want to help in any way whether it may be to raise funds, do some voluntary work or raise awareness, please contact Wendy Fish on the telephone number below or by email email@example.com.
If you would like to receive our annual publications, news about our fundraising events and current appeals, please click on our mailing list logo at the top of the page. We also regularly update our Facebook page so please click on our link at the top of this page and like us.
How you have helped
Many fundraising events in the UK have been postponed or cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Whilst we are all hopeful many of these events will go ahead at a later date, many charities across the UK have been left struggling to maintain their services. Due to COVID-19, the Sailors’ Children’s Society has extended their support to fishermen who have been unable to work due to the Fishmarkets having to close. We have ordered just over 100 Computer Packages within the past few weeks to ensure our supported children living in poverty are able to continue to do their school work at home. The Society has also given a small weekly grant to cover the additional cost of food and heating whilst the children are at home.
- October 2020 We have launched our first ever virtual event via Enthuse due to our two main fundraising events being cancelled due to the pandemic. The Sportsman’s Lunch 50,000km Challenge will run until December and we hope many people will become involved and join in and help us to continue to raise funds. Here is the link to our Enthuse fundraising event page https://sailorschildren.enthuse.com/cf/sportsman-s-lunch-50000km-challenge
- October 2020 HSBC organised a virtual Charity Quiz over Zoom and raised an amazing £1,300 in total with their generous match funding. It was attended by over 20 people and CRBE were the winners with Begbies taking second place.
- June 2020 Lockdown in EG – a huge Thank You to Captain Steve Tindale, Chief Officer Tommy Weir and Second Officer James Pine, who are doing a Charity Challenge by running 200 miles in 10 days around their hotel room. These three seafarers work for Swire Pacific Offshore (SPO) and are currently confined to their rooms in Equatorial Guinea on a mandatory quarantine period prior to joining their ships. Rather than being restricted by their environments, the three dreamed big and took on the challenge to raise funds to be split equally between the Sailors’ Children’s Society, Sailors’ Society and Become. Please click here https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com to support these seafarers and their incredible kind gesture. THANK YOU!
- January 2020 The Society of MICE kindly donated £1,000 during a presentation night at Ryder Club in Hull.
- Members of the 200 Business Club, regular supporters and some families attended a Royal Reception on board the HQS Wellington in London in the presence of HRH The Princess Royal on 14th November 2019.
- Captain Mal Nicholson sailed the HMS Pickle to the South of England during the summer of 2019. He kindly invited families on board whilst moored at the ports at Portsmouth, Weymouth as part of the RNLI 150th Anniversary and then Dartmouth.
- A huge thanks to the National Citizens Service Group 6 organised by Mason Wild for doing various fundraising events which included a bake sale held at Walton Street market in Hull.
- Thank you to the A63 Princes Quay Bridge scheme for their kind donation of Easter Eggs for the local families we support.
- We are now featured on the Hull City FC page http://www.gladiatorfootball.co.uk/championship/hull-city.
- December 2018 – Thank you to Wave 105 in Portsmouth and Viking FM Cash for Kids for donating toys for our families.
- A big thank you to Russ Garbutt for your kind donation of £1,000 towards our 200 Business Club on behalf of DeLa Pole Lodge.
- Virgin Money in Paragon Street, Hull collected Easter Eggs for the children we support living in the Hull and Bridlington.
- University College of London Dance Society raised £563 at their Triple Bill Showcase in February 2018.
- JCT600 and also the listeners of Viking FM Cash for Kids generously donated toys for the families we support at Christmas time.
- The Wilberforce Masonic Lodge raised a fantastic £1,000 at their Carol Service in December 2017.
- Thank you to Mal Nicholson the owner of Spider T and HMS Pickle who is an Ambassador for the Society and he was flying our flag during the Hull City of Culture 2017. He was moored at the Hull Marina.
We were extremely successful with our Pantomime Appeal over the last few years and last year a total of 26 families went to see the pantomime at their local theatre. A huge thank you to all the theatres involved such as Floral Pavillion, Beck Theatre, His Majesty’s Theatre, Grimsby Auditorium, Liverpool Empire, Octagon Theatre etc.
- UK Harbour Masters Association have kindly helped raise funds for a number of years at their recent Autumn Dinner and we would like to thank them for their donations from this event. They also send donations during the year following money raised in lieu of Christmas Cards and also following their Spring Seminar.
- We would like to say a big thank you to ResQ who raised a fantastic £700 as part of their Charity of the Year for the Society which included a Charity Boxing Match at the KC Stadium and a team entered in the Hull 10k Charity Run.
- Thank you to the staff at the Minstergate Group decided to take up a challenge to help raise money and also increase team morale. The 3 Yorkshire Peaks was a challenge that seemed achievable and raised over £600 for the Society.
- Sponsorship through regular events Read more
- Car Boot/School Fundraising Read more
We are very grateful from a number of charitable trusts who continue to support us which is so essential in these difficult times and we rely on these donations to help us to continue to provide ongoing support to children of seafarers and to further develop other ways of helping families other than financially.
We would like to thank all of the charitable trusts and organisations who have donated so far. Without this support much of our work would not be able to go ahead.